[Spridgets] Update and advice on parts

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 05:26:07 MDT 2009

Weslake not Westlake!

I have a Ford gearbox and clutch.

If the car is going to be used on the road and in traffic I'd think about a
 different clutch.  If the car is just going to be used in motorsport the
solid plate clutch would be ok.

A 4.5 diff at 7,500 rpm should be 110mph on 13" x 70 profile tyres so your
92mph sounds a bit low for 7,000rpm.

You want the car geared such that the estimated maximum speed occurs at the
 peak power of the engine.  So you need to know if peak power is at
7000rpm.  If your cam is the SPVP4 from APT then it might peak at  7000rpm though
I'd guess a bit less.

120mph is a lot to expect of a Spridget and is a lot more to expect than
118mph.  You'll need a car with some reasonable aero mods to achieve  120mph.

You'll not easily get 150bhp from a normally aspirated A-series and almost
certainly not with cam you have.  And if you swap the cam to say the SPVP5
it will need regular rebuilds to continue to achieve that power assuming
you can  get it to produce that in the first place.

Weslake-Monza 1330