[Spridgets] Midget 50th Autocross Classes

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:32:49 MDT 2009

Guess who gets to run the autocross event at the Spridget Celebration
of the Midget 50th Anniversary at Road America? Yup. I didn't duck
fast enough.

So, I figured I should tap into the collective wisdom of the BBS. The
event will be a tiny one-lap race on a fascinating circuit, Road
America's Motorplex
http://www.roadamerica.com/userfiles/image/information_maps/map_motorplex_580w.jpg
The map does not show the elevation changes involved; it WILL be fun!
I might even be able to make it a two-lap course.

At this stage of the game. I am concerned with setting up classes. For
the autocross at the Lake of the Ozarks Sprite 50th, I had a class for
under 1200cc (948 and 1098 engines), a class for over 1200cc (1275 and
1500 engines), a class for non-Spridget engines, a class for Spridgets
with serious mods (forced induction, race tires, Frontline kits, etc),
as well as a class for non-Spridgets. As it ended up, there was one
non-Midget (a Miata who thought he could stomp on us all if we would
only let him run... I let him run and we all stomped on his times),
one non-Spridget engine (a fibreglas-bodied supercharged 13B rotary
Midget with 400hp and huge tires), one under 1200cc (my 1098 Bugeye),
one serious mods (my Midget), and everything else was in the 1200cc
and over class. Not a single 948 ran. The theory was good, but reality
didn't tag along for the ride.

For the 2011 event, I will have to fix things so that it works. It
would be nice if I knew now who was going to sign up, but it doesn't
work that way. I will need to set up classes so that people will want
to sign up for it. I also need to get the awards done ahead of time.

I am thinking that I will need a novice class, a ladies class, and a
non-Spridget class. What do I do with the rest and how should I define
a novice? (no, Frank, you are NOT a novice)
David L