[Spridgets] Classic Endurance Racing - not much LBC content

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 14:48:50 MDT 2009

Hi List,
www.classicenduranceracing.com/uk/
2nd day at Silverstone  scrutineering mostly Classic Endurance Racing (CER)
cars but did some others as  well.  Yesterday was a great day doing only 11
CER cars but a quality list:  Lola  T70, Lola T296, Porsche 911 RS, Chevron
B36, Porsche 911 RSR, Lola T298 x 2,  MGC, Chevron B21, Ferrari 275 GTB,
Corvette 1973.  Lots of interesting  engines including Ford BDAs (BDGs) and
some kind of BMW 2.0L engine I've yet to  research.  Two cars have DFVs but
not that I did them this year.  I  suppose you all know about Chevvy engines
in T70s and  Corvettes.
Today got off to a  great start on the drive-in after I chased down a BMW
that baulked me.  Once Ibd caught up with him doing 80mph+  I flashed him to
move over and surprisingly he did.  However a Seat Leon thought he could
stay with me and so accelerated to 90mph + into a bend to pull away from  the
Leon.  I held a steady throttle  into the bend and could feel the front end
was pretty much on the limit once  clear of the bend (it was a long one), I
floored the throttle and took the car  to just over 103mph (5K in 5th on a
3.9 diff) before lifting off  after that as I was close to the exit for
Silverstone.  Yes my 69 Sprite is  modified and it really enjoyed itself (the
car
was begging for  it?).
So, a great start to the  day and straight into scrutineering the CER cars.
 I was particularly pleased to scrutineer  a DeThomas Mangusta which I donb
t think Ibve ever even seen in road car form  before (Ibve seen a couple
of
Panteras).  One interesting car I missed was the Howmet TX which looked a
bit like an  overgrown Porsche 908 b turned out the car is powered by a gas
turbine and  originated in the USA.  I also did a  couple of BMW M1s (I did
several last year).
I was on pit lane speed  limit for the CER free practice and qualifying
which was trouble free (and so  paperwork free).  I'd forgotten how loud the
cars were from last  year.  A lot of British racing requires racing cars to be
silenced to some  extent which means while they are a lot louder than a
road car (even mine) they  are not noisy at the pain threshold.  These cars,
especially when a couple  pass together were just at the pain threshold so I
used ear plugs virtually all  the time.  I thought they still sounded really
nice though.  What is  the red line on these 1960/70s engine?  Well one 2.0L
car had a red line on  the tacho at 9K.
I even saw Bobby Rahal in a  car - Lola T290 as well.
Tomorrow the cars have a  2nd qualifying session and an hour long race -
I'll be looking forward to it  though plan to give the car a slower ride in...
Weslake-Monza  1330