[Spridgets] Front suspension question

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Tue Sep 1 21:25:29 MDT 2009

Not sure what you mean by block of wood?  Never needed to use a block of
wood to remove the spring pan.  The best way to lower the RB Midget is
substitute CB springs.  Lacking those, Install spacers.  Here's the simple
way:  Remove one front and one rear spring pan bolt and substitute longer
bolts.  1-1/2 length work well, but exact length is unimportant as they are
temporary. Just thread the nuts on part way, so that there is about 1/2" of
free play.  Remove the other two bolts.  The two longer bolts will keep the
spring in place. Then you can loosen the temporary bolts until the nut is
near the end of the bolt and there is about 1" of free play.  Now replace
the 2nd two bolts you just removed with 1" bolts that you want to end up
with, installing spacers between the A-arm and spring plate, but don't
tighten the nut down yet, just thread it on.  Next, remove the two temporary
bolts, and install 1" bolts, and spacers in their place.  Tighten all four
nuts.  I use nylock nuts for this application, or dab some loctite on the
threads during assembly, or have real fun, drill the bolts and install
safety wires.
Dave R.

PS, my band will be in Connell Saturday the 12th, isn't that about 45
minutes from you?