[Spridgets] bracket and top questions

Bob Spruck mgmaven at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 1 20:36:20 MDT 2009

That is the bracket that attaches the hardtop to the body. It can also be
used for a tonneau bar that supports the leading edge of the tonneau cover
so that it doesn't belly and hold water. I use it for both purposes on my ' 72.

I unlatch the header from the windshield, pull the top completely away from
the frame, push the frame into the body as I lay the top on the boot. Once
the frame is fully compressed, I fold each quarter window in, on top of the
rear window and then fold the top forward over the compressed bows and
secure it with the boot cover or the tonneau.

At 09:50 PM 9/1/2009 , Jeff Foster wrote:
>Two-plus years ago when I trailered my new '73 MG Midget home I
>lowered the top and forgot about it!  I haven't had it out in the rain
>and it didn't get so cold that I couldn't still enjoy top-down
>motoring this past winter.  :-)
>
>Today I was doing a bit of interior cleanup and decided I'd check to
>see if the top was still there under the tonneau cover and came up
>with a couple of questions.
>
>There's a bracket at the hinge point of the top bows and an eyelet on
>the side of the wheelwell hump.
>http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/tr3-4-me/73%20MG%20Midget/DSC02522.jpg
>
>Can someone tell me what these are for?
>
>Also, what is the "proper" way to fold and store the top?

Bob Spruck
MGMaven
Sharpsburg, GA
67 Midget Vintage Racer