[Spridgets] Speaking of wheel cylinders...

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 20:54:40 MDT 2009

Anybody out there who has converted a Bugeye to the later rear brakes with dual acting cylinders?

I ran into a minor issue when I did this.

Basically when I was done swaping everythng over, the drums were locked up.  This was caused by the drums contacting
the backing plates.  I think the step on the nose of the axle housings is machined differently between the different years.
The doner axle in this case was a 74' with steel wheels.

I thought I might have missed something but I checked the manual and everything was put together correctly.
My resolution was to throw the drums on the lathe and remove about .020 from the back edge.

I also notice that the axle flanges get pretty darn close to the wheel cylinders in this setup.