[Spridgets] caved in bumper mount

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Fri Oct 23 11:08:34 MDT 2009

Today, I will finish my BE bottom pans with only a few minor glitches.  The biggest body work remaining is a caved in rear bumper mount.  It is well bondoed and looks fine on the outside, but the straightened backing bracket no longer fits and the turn signal light base is bent inward by about 1/2".  I can shim the bracket, but would really like to get the light base straightened if there is no danger of destroying the whole area.

I see three approaches.  First, pull/pound out the bumper area in hopes that the light base will move outward with it.  Second, bend the light base outward with a long board through-bolted with big washers and leave the bumper area to change as it will.  Third, make a long board through-bolted with big washers to both areas and lever the entire area outward.

What are your thoughts?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite kit