[Spridgets] wire wheels

David Ambrose stargazer1 at cox.net
Sun Oct 18 11:46:17 MDT 2009

Sales at " Just Brits " wrote:
> << Actually no, British Wire Wheel told me to use 10 mil PVC
> plumber's tape. We followed their advice, and I haven't had a flat
> due to tube abrasion since then. >>
>
> Are you sure they didn't specify WHICH one to use,
> David ??
At the time, no. That was 25 years ago, and it might not have mattered
then. At the time, the correct bands were nearly impossible to get, so
we used the tape. I have the roll of plumber's tape we used, and it's
still good. They told me to use two layers. I passed the instructions
and the tape to the tire shop, and they mounted the tire with no
problems since. Before then, we'd been losing a tube every few months.

I totally agree that duct tape is worthless in this application. BWW
said the same thing. It doesn't cushion, and the adhesive degrades over
time, turning to powder. That isn't a unique characteristic of the
imported tape either.

My local Big-O says they can get the correct rubber tire bands, so
that's what we'll use when I put on new tires.

Cheers,
Dave