[Spridgets] wire wheels

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 09:26:23 MDT 2009

Good thought, Jay. I don't think it would matter if the wheel was on tight.
My reasoning is: Either side you put the weights on will be slightly off of
the center line of the wheel wouldn't it? I can't recall seening a wheel
with weights both inside and outside. I don't have solid wheels for
reference but I think the same would be true with them. What you are
balancing actually is the tire itself. The wheel should be pretty much
balanced. Modern tires are marked with a dot which mounts next to the valve
stem so the tire is designed with the balance application in mind. I've had
tires that were good enough that no balancing weight was needed at all.

This I found was especially true on motorcycle tires. Recently I had a
chance to work on a guy's bike and found a whole buncha weights on the wheel
in different locations around the rim. A local shop had balanced them for
him on a dynamic balancer. I added up the weights and figured their location
around the rim. What I found was that they cancelled out completely!! The
guy running the machine just started slapping weights on it. I removed all
the weights and ran a little static balance on the wheel. It was perfect!!
I had the shop put it back on their dynamic machine and it was perfect.
Moral of the story is that you can't trust the guys running the equipment
either!

Cheers!!
Jim

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Jay Fishbein <jfishbein at snet.net> wrote:

> I know this is true on cast aluminum wheels where adhesive weights are
> positioned toward the center of the rim but since a steel wire wheel uses
> weights on the rim, wouldn't the wheel be out of balance with the weight
> isolated to one side?
>
> jay fishbein
> wallingford, ct
> I may be out-of-balance but my wheels run true.
>
> --- On Wed, 10/14/09, Jim Johnson <bmwwxman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also, don't let the bastards put the balance weights on the outside
> of the wire wheel!!!  They can go on the inside.  Looks better.

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein