[Spridgets] Chassis Dyno H.P.? now wheels an tires

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at me.com
Tue Oct 13 23:03:43 MDT 2009

Vincent,

Wire wheels require tubes but there is a difference between tubes for
a bias ply tire and a radial - I do not know what makes them
different.  This is true regardless of the type of tire.  You should
have "rubbers" that cover the ends of the spokes inside the rim,  this
keeps the spokes from rubbing holes in the inner tube.  I have use
masking tape for this job or find a cheap inner tube and cut it up to
make the "rubbers."  OK get you minds out of the gutter.

Be careful about powder coating the wheel/spokes.  If they are coated
assembled the coating will be broken when the wheels are trued so you
may be better off painting the wheels.  You could get all the parts
coated separately or I have seen stainless steel spokes.  Either of
these choices of course requires a complete disassembly of the wheels
in which case, besides the work, the wheels will diffidently have to
be trued.

If you happen to be any where near San Diego I can put you in contact
with a shop that can do the tubes and tires.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition