[Spridgets] Donna Mae Mims dies

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Mon Oct 12 09:10:27 MDT 2009

Yeah, our local newspaper had mentioned the part about her being seated in a
pink '79 Corvette during the funeral home viewing (they also got her name
wrong in the headline for the story: Donna Mae Mills....but had it right in
the text of the article).   None of the articles, nor the obituary in the
Pittsburgh paper, mention any surviving family members.  I know she divorced
her husband back in the 50s.....a pretty daring move in such a socially
conservative city as Pittsburgh (was back then and still is now, relatively
speaking).  She and her husband got into Corvettes at a very early stage,
buying one of the first ones in the Pittsburgh area, and becoming very
active in the Pittsburgh area Corvette club and the SCCA Steel Cities
Region.
My active time in the Steel Cities Region started after she had moved to
Maui and ended before her return to the Pittsburgh area.  But, I never heard
anyone speak of her in negative terms.  Everyone (at least everyone in Steel
Cities Region) seemed to like her and have good memories of her.  I'm sorry
I never got to actually meet her.  She sounded like a really neat lady, for
sure.
Bud Osbourne