[Spridgets] Pontiacs (no lbc)

HealeyRick healeyrick at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 15:03:34 MDT 2009

     Can't let this one go without a post.   First car I remember was my
parents' 1950 Pontiac Chieftan.  Mom, world's worst driver, regularly tried to
kill us in that one.  Tried to do a U-turn on a divided highway and
high-centered it on the median.  First time I ever met a state trooper!  Then
she went into the local "Dead Man''s Curve" a little too hot.  Don't know if
she got it up on two wheels, but it sure seemed like it to this six year-old!
Don't even ask how she managed to slam that car door on her fingers  Man,
black fingernails sure are ugly!
     In the mid-60s wanted a GTO in the worst way, but Dad was an "economy"
guy. (prolly becuse hi-test was $,29 a gallon.)  We ended up with a 1967
Pontiac LeMans Sprint  OHC 230 ci with a 4 bbl and 215 hp  10.5:1 CR and would
just detonate on anything less than Sunoco 260. Oh yeah, and with a 'glide.
Shifted at about 60 mph.  Eventually I ended up with a '67 Firebird 'vert with
a 4 spd Hurst.  Nice ride, but only a 2 bbl and 326  (BTW, who said they had a
327 Poncho, unless you're Canadian it's a 326!)  Stay tuned for Part II.