[Spridgets] 1968 Pontiac Parisienne with 327

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Fri Oct 9 10:04:30 MDT 2009

Highest output for Chevy's 327 was 375 horsepower (SAE), with fuel
injection, from roughly the '65 thru '67 model year Corvettes.
The 348 and 409 engines were a completely different design than the 327 (of
the fabled "small-block" family) and didn't "breathe" nearly as well.  Good
truck engine, I suppose.  Pontiac's 347, 370, 389 & 421 engine was, I think,
a far superior design to Chevy's 348/409
Although my family's '67 LeMans had the 326, I never really paid much
attention to the engine, other than checking the oil (which became pretty
boring because it never burned any oil).  The poor thing was coupled to a 2
speed automatic (Chevy's Power Glide automatic), which made it
not-too-exciting, although still delivering adequate acceleration.  By then,
the Pontiac's OHC 6 was getting a lot of positive press in C&D (a magazine I
despised) and the 326 was pretty much ignored by the enthusiast crowd.
Bud Osbourne