[Spridgets] Happy Wanders II and LBC brakes

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at me.com
Sun Oct 4 15:04:04 MDT 2009

Big changes here.  The past month has been spent  packing / storing my
household possessions, including the Sprites.  In another day or so I
will have finished and will be living in the motor home.  This is the
first step in a plan to spend the next 12 to 24 months "on the road."
Part one is a move to the co-op RV park where I have a site, only a
short distance of 35 miles or so away.   Along with the recent lady in
my life we will spend the rest of the year getting into the "RV life,"
doing a short trip or two and planning longer trips for the up coming
year.  Currently there is no agenda but am hoping to once more have
the opportunity to meet some of the members of this list as we wander
around.  For those who may remember this will be some what like the
trips my deceased wife and I did 6 to 10 years ago except that we will
not have the Sprite.

Speaking of the Sprite it remains with out brakes but I did promise an
update.  When we did the frame up in 1997 I switched to silicon brake
fluid solely because it does not eat paint.  The brakes have worked
flawlessly until a few months ago when suddenly there was no pressure,
also no leaks.  I got all new seals and then opened the system for the
first time since the frame up, 12 years ago.  There was no water or
corrosion any where in the system. So a quick honing of the cylinders,
replace the seals and back together it went.  After lots of work
getting the air out of the system there still was no pressure !!  A
check with some local sources an it seems that all the seals they are
getting are labeled "Not for use with silicon brake fluid."  My
current conclusion is that the silicon fluid is "slipping" by the
seals in the master cylinder - - hence no pressure.  So the car went
into storage with no brakes or clutch.  When I return hopefully there
will be some compatible seals or another brake fluid that does not eat
paint.  Other wise it is going to be a major flush and rebuild project
to go back to the older fluid.

Almost on the road.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise) - in storage
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes - in storage
2000 Miata Special Edition - getting close to being in storage