[Spridgets] Master Cyl Cap ?

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:17:07 MST 2009

Bought a new Master Cyl cap from Moss for my 1275 '59.

With the new one I can see the small vent holes.  . two of them.

They are very tiny.  My last cap was wheezing misty brake fluid . . the
harder I would pump. .  it appeared that the more pressure would be released
from the system.  It actually formed a crack along the indent surface of the
top. .  a crack that was nearly an inch long.  The thing was disallowing my
MC to hold pressure. .  at least it appears as such.  . because I can now
get pressure back to my brakes (even with the small leak on one of the rear
wheels that I still need to fix).

I was a disbeliever (at first) that these caps even vented at all.
Certainly the brake cyls on my motorcycle are not as such. .  they are
sealed.

A couple of questions while I continue to kick this subject to death (thanks
for your patience).

I also bought the cork ring that goes inside of the cap. .  another 5 bucks
from "the low price leader" Moss Motors. . .

I use to not have this cork gasket (ring) in my old cap when the brake
system was working. .  is this super important.  . the cork gasket, ring
that goes inside?

Also. .  do the very tiny vent holes vent in both directions. .  or are they
designed to vent in one direction only, such as when the M. Cyl needs to
replenish it's air supply. .  back feed?

Frank told me that he drilled a small hole in the top of one of his caps. .
as such replacing the small hole that they come with.  . so I guess that
answers my question . . but they might have been originally designed to be
more of a one way vent, even though they can work both ways?  Ok, it is a
dumb question. .  but I guess I am still surprised that they vent at all
considering other equivalents.

I will take my answer off the air.  .

And, thanks to all for ALL OF THE GREAT HELP that all of you have been to
guys like me.  Without your help. .  I would have spent many unnecessary
hours repairing and modifying my car through the years.

Kirk
59 Bugeye. .  running around a little over 80 HP (about the max that the
rear end can take - from what I have heard)?