[Spridgets] battery drain... what have i done?

Andy Webster a_d_webster at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 19 05:32:02 MST 2009

Greetings again folks,

geez..my sprite issues at the moment all started when I decided to "do the
right thing" and do a few checks before going for a quick blat last sunday.

I checked the oil, coolant then brake fluid then a little deeper..

Using a meter, I checked the dwell angle which was a bit tight at 15 degrees ,
and opened it up to about 60.

I stuck the timing light on, saw a reasonable result and made no adjustments.

Engine was sounding sweet as.

I tightened up the coil mounting clamp to body bolts as they were a little
loose.

I put some Penrite SU dash pot oil in the HIF44 and then went inside to have a
quick feed before departing.

When I started it up it ran like an absolute pig. Almost like 2 plug leads
were reversed or disconnected. ( i never touched 'em!)

I was thinking that the oil I put in the dash pot was finding its way into the
engine and fouling the plugs. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them ( they were
very black but not visibly oiled) and tried again with the same result.

It would run ok for a few moments, then rapidly deteriorate and stall.

But now... that I am thinking that it was an ignition problem, as my battery
completely drained by the next time i got to it a few days later , and now,
with a new battery, my ignition light is on, as described in
yesterday's poorly spelt post. (light is on when the car is off)

I never pulled the battery last weekend, so definitely did not reverse the
terminals and let the smoke escape.

does anyone have a clue what may have caused my alternator diodes to fry, and
ignition turn to krap?

Apparently, it is something I have inadvertently done in the execution of the
above tasks...which highlights the distributor and coil as the possible scenes
of the crime....

Would a fried alternator/rectifier cause my ignition to fail and drain the
battery?

I am perplexed...what have i done to upset Lucas-Prince of Darkness?

Andy