[Spridgets] DPO Contest

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Mon Nov 16 21:00:18 MST 2009

I don't doubt that there has been at least one DPO contest on this list, so I wouldn't want to start another.  Nevertheless, I am curious as to whether or not my DPO might have placed relatively high in that contest.

In trying to  get the crunched fender off my Midget, I discovered that my DPO had welded a new, taller inner sill  over the top of the fender bolt heads.  I had to cut out 2"x2" holes to gain access to the heads.  I suppose I could have cut holes in the fender, but I didn't think of it at the time, and I was not sure what I would find when I got in there, as I have never taken one off before.

(Note that DPO could also stand for "Dumb Present Owner".  It also took me quite a lot of grunting to figure out there was one more bolt that I had not found.  Did I read the manual?  No, I didn't read the manual.  Manuals are for sissies!)

So, would that have placed in the DPO contest?  I assume that failing to read the manual is so common that it does not qualify for DPO status.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite kit
Long Island, NY