[Spridgets] Synchros?

Chris King cbking at alum.rpi.edu
Mon Nov 9 16:24:38 MST 2009

List,

AT the OSHIT at Frank's this weekend, we installed a gearbox in my 1500
that I rebuilt. New bearings, new synchros, new clutch forks.

Problem is, I get a slight grind upshifting into 3rd, and a grind
downshifting into 3rd or 2nd. Upshifting to2nd or 4th is fine, and
downshifting into 1st is fine as well (1500 box, 1st has a synchro).

We did replace the cover plate for the clutch, but we bled the
hydraulics and I'm not convinced that's the problem. The catch point for
the clutch is closer to the floor than it used to be.

Can the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros be too tight? Would a slipperier lube
help? I plan to re-bleed the clutch and see if that helps, but since
this is specific to 2nd and 3rd, I'm nut sure it'll help.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

-=Chris

Chris King