[Spridgets] Mazda rotary

JLC breton48 at live.com
Sun Nov 8 10:17:30 MST 2009

I think it was true about some of the very early, pre-RX7 rotary engines,
but there were 12A equipped RX7 with well over 150,000 miles, racing in so
Cal. If you used the proper non-synthetic oil and made sure to keep the oil
at the proper level (the rotary uses oil as designed), the RX7 12A engine
lasted at least 150,000 miles. The lowest mileage I heard of, using the
non-recommended synthetic, was around 70,000 miles before rebuild. Some
racers used synthetic because they said they got one or two more hp at the
same viscosity than dyno oil. I was explained why it was better to use dyno
oil in the 12A (something about the burn characteristics).

JLC