[Spridgets] Seat bases

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Fri May 29 15:10:49 MDT 2009

Today, I took my BE seats out of their garbage bags, stripped off the covers, and found the metal bases and backs rusted beyond recovery.  All I have is the seat frames and sliders.

So I am looking at the seat bases wondering how to make something cheap that will not rust.  It would not be hard in luan ply and epoxy composite, with which I have experience. But there is a lot of structure in there that has no obvious purpose.  The two big stiffeners on the sides of the bases, for example, have holes at each corner that would appear to provide access to a bolt.  But there are no bolts under (at least on my slider bases).  There are two holes in the bottom of the bases at the level of the tilt bolt, but again nothing under to access.  Does anyone know whether these holes have a function in a BE, or are they for something on another car?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Bugeye kit
Long Island,NY