[Spridgets] Why Does Engine Like to Run Rich?

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Tue May 26 10:36:06 MDT 2009

> Plugs are black even on long runs.  Also, floats have been set using a
7/16"
> bar as per instructions.  I have had trouble in the past with float seats
that
> leak but I have had them fixed for awhile now, I believe.  If the floats
were
> sticking or mal adjusted to give me too much fuel, you would think the
engine
> would want the carbs set leaner, right?  I just don't want the jet
adjusting
> nuts to come off the end - they're close.  Also I burn a lot of gas.

Wait a minute! I got confused. The black means you are too rich (buy a
Ferrari, that will always fix the problem of too rich); moving the jet
lower makes you RICHER, but you want to be leaner.
The 12 to 15 flats is a STARTING point, guaranteed to be rich because
it is less damaging for your engine to run a little rich than a little
lean. From there you should be working your way UP, not down.
David Lieb