[Spridgets] Removing nut from tie rod

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Thu May 21 23:04:46 MDT 2009

Just did this 3 days ago, although mine were not too rusted.

If you have'nt done so, remove the rack from the car.  It's pretty easy.

Before you remove the ends, count the exposed threads so you can get them
close to where they were when you re-assemble (or measure with a caliper)

I grabbed the tie rods in the bench vise.  I tightened the vise pretty hard.
I then took a big adjustable to the locking nut and unscrewed both the nut and the tie rod
end together.  The tie rod bars are pretty tough.  The vise jaws did not leave any marks.
Like the old saying, give me a long enough lever and a place to stand...

My old boots had not yet ripped open.  I was pleasently suprized to see everything in good
condition inside.  In any case, I wiped off the old grease and slathered some Super Lube
grease on the inner ball and the exposed portions of the rack gear.

When you put the new boots on, put a little grease on the inside of the clamp areas so they slide
on easy.

If you are feeling ambitious (like I was), remove the aluminum supports and give them a light wire brushing.
Strip and paint the rack and tie rods black, and zinc plate all the bolts and clamps.