[Spridgets] Sunbeam Tiger

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 20:21:20 MDT 2009

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Mark <mark at nashvilletn.org> wrote:  "Any of you folks
know anything about Tigers?"

Mark,
Not that much except that I've always loved them.  I know of a couple that
have been around Nashville forever.  There was a red one in Lavergne maybe 6
years ago and a white one I came across probably 15 or 18 years ago in the
Antioch/Woodbine area. The white one was rough at the time but both were
supposedly real. There was a story in Classic Motorsports / British Car a
while ago that mentioned what to look for in a real one.  Think it even
mentioned the name of an expert.  I would do some Googling on the subject,
maybe go to the CM website. I know they are a bit on the heavy side so don't
expect blinding performance unless seriously hotrodded.  Lots of fun to drive,
though and can sound great.  Besides, I always liked Maxwell Smart.

Obviously, the 302 will drop the price as will anything else not stock on this
relatively rare car. That would be great news for me 'cause I couldn't give
less of a crap about what is "supposed to be" on the car. They're easy to
hotrod if that's what you want.  If you want an original, I'd wait to find one
already that way unless the price is REALLY right.

Check the body really well.  I recently saw one on a rotisserie in the Philly
area that a guy had bought on eBay without a personal inspection. It had a new
paint job and apparently looked decent in the photos.  The new owner drove it
down to a restoration shop to be gone through and made absolutely correct
after it arrived on the truck. After they dug out all the filler, it was
nothing but swiss cheese.  I have never seen a car in that bad shape that had
actually been driving around.  If he had gotten on it, it looked like it wold
have twisted in half. Virtually every panel in the body needed replacing so
all he was left with was a very expensive old Mustang drivetrain....

David Booker
'71 Midget
Long Island (via way of Nashville)