[Spridgets] Dave Riker's Message, TO Bearing, Etc

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:13:37 MDT 2009

Dave,

I am not an engineer, just sometimes a decent shade tree mechanic.

I know for certain that the piston in my slave cyl has an indent that
matched the end of the rod in order for the rod to be able to snap inside
the piston and pulled back when not in use.   I was surprised when I saw
this.

I also know that my original TO bearing cooked throwing shrapnel everywhere
inside the housing after about 2k miles.

It was installed by the previous owner who is British, has built several
LBC's including a Mini that he currently has as well as a London Taxi.
Jeremy also rebuilt the 1275 which has been running like a clock.

Jeremy also worked on the car with his now deceased brother in law Tony.
Somehow, the clutch TO bearing was left to ride full time against the clutch
springs when not in use. .  and I attributed this to the reason why it had
such an early demise.  I could be wrong.  I would like to be wrong.

When I put it all back together I ran a light pull spring outside of the
mechanism to ensure that the TO bearing would not be getting any extra time
against the clutch springs..

Someone on the list once mentioned that they owned a Volvo that also ran an
outboard spring from the factory in this manner.  Then they noted a later
model Volvo where this was not the case.

Whether it is a roller TO bearing or a carbon face unit, it would still make
sense to me to avoid any additional friction?

I have only about 1000 miles on the car since I put it back together.  I
also tossed the smooth case for a rib case that I had when I had the drive
train out.

At this point, the car shifts and runs perfectly.  I could not be happier
with the performance of the clutch.

We'll see what happens as I put on more miles.  (I drive the car everyday
rain or shine, top up of course in the rain).  I cannot stay out of this
car.  I am so fanatical about these cars. .  that I at times wonder what the
psychology is behind my madness?

Kirk
59 BE