[Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Wed May 6 21:39:34 MDT 2009

You would be right on most cars.  But the throw out bearing on a stock
A-series car doesn't have a true "throw out bearing".  It has a self
sacrificing carbon disc. More like a throw out bushing.  It does not spin.
Each of the parts of the MG clutch system were carefully minimized by bean
counters to last no longer than 30,000 miles and to be completely worn out
at almost the exact same time.  I also said constant contact, not constant
pressure.  The system is self adjusting.  If a spring is added to pull the
carbon disc away from the mating surface on the pressure plate diaphram, it
ceases to be self adjusting. A return spring would always pull the throw out
bearing away from the pressure plate the maximum amount, requiring an
adjustable push rod be substituted for the non adjustable one, and you would
have to gradually lengthen the rod as the carbon bushing and friction
surfaces wear out.
David R.