[Spridgets] Battery R&R and Fiat

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Wed May 6 05:29:40 MDT 2009

One of my neighbors threw out a 12V Milwaukee took battery. Not the
nice nicad, or lithium packs you picture in your mind, but a nice
metal book which contains a 12V lead acid garden tractor size
battery. A receipt in the box shows the battery was purchased in
1995. After all these years it doesn't contain any (much) acid, but
otherwise the battery looks new. I doubt that it saw hard service. Is
it possible to R&R a 12V lead acid battery with this kind of history?
I tried filling the cells with water but it won't take a charge (Oh
about 4 volts is all.) The battery is 7.75" wide, 5.125" deep, and 6"
high (with posts 7" high) and has a sticker - 1982299 - the only
surviving ID tag. The battery was purchased at an Auto Value store.

In regard to Fiat cars, Autoblog.com has a story about the Fiat /
Chrysler marriage titled; "Chrysler and Fiat: A merger of equally
unreliable product?" The article has data to support the supposition
about poor quality coming from both companies. I like the 500 and it
is about the right size car for my short of stature wife. Her last
car was a Subaru Justy which fit her just right. Many of the new
small cars have a very high belt line which obstructs rear vision.

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/