[Spridgets] 5 speed question

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 19:00:03 MST 2009

Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Mike and others, never heard of the electrical tape trick?  Wrap the forward
> end of the assembled drive shaft U-joint tightly with electrical tape,
> enough to make it very stiff. Now you can install the Transmission and
> engine without the long floppy drive shaft attached.   You can stick the
> drive shaft into the transmission from under the car, through the tunnel.
> After one circle around the block, you can remove the now balled up
> electrical tape off the rear end of the drive line.

This is a great idea and I have used it a few times BUT you have to
remember the tape is there because the first time you drive it
that tape unwraps and whips against the tunnel and sounds like your
whole world just blew up.
If you have a weak heart, do not try this trick unless you put a sign on
the steering wheel.
Warning, be prepared for ungodly noises as soon as I hit 2nd gear.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ