[Spridgets] Electronic Ignition

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 18:52:19 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Billy Zoom" Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Electronic Ignition

> Is the subject electronic ignition vs. points, or is it electronic ignition
> vs. Pertronix?

I think the subject is why do Pertronix Ignitors fail.

Why do they fail when each and everyone one of us gets happily into
our other modern vehicles (with electronic ignition) without any concern
about the ignition failing?

Why do they fail when they cost $90-$100?.

I've have gone through several modern vehicles thoughout my life and I never had
to replace the ignition module on any of them.    My brother once had to replace
the coil pack on his Escape.  But that was a coil failure and it was probably his fault for pressure
washing the engine without letting it cool down first.

I have a Pertronix ignitor. It is presently working.  Well, I should say as soon as I hook it back
up after pulling the engine to install the datsun tranny this past winter...

I bought it because one day several years ago I went to the local store
and I came back out and the Bugeye wouldn't start back up.  I recall I was in a hurry
and it really pissed me off to have to waste time trouble shooting.  It was quite a
suprize for me to discover that it was the points, because the car was running
just fine when I pulled in.  That's just the way the pitting and dirt laid up I guess.
I cleaned them with a match book and went my merry way.

I hate episodes like that.  So I went out and bought a Pertronix.
Up to now I have been really happy with it.  It really does make the engine easier to
start and the engine hums like a sewing machine on the highway.
But I'll be really upset if mine ever fails.  If it does you can be sure that I will
perform a post mortum on that chunk of epoxy and your going to hear about
why it failed.

Here is why I think they might fail:

1) It is sensitive to static electricity.
2) It doesn't have good reverse polarity protection diodes.
3) Another list member mentioned the possibility of a poor ground connection.
4) It is suceptible to the voltage spikes that occurs when jump starting the vehicle.
5) It will fail if the ignition key is left on accidentially without the engine running.
6) It can't take the heat inside a spridget distributor.