[Spridgets] Top up or Down

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 08:36:21 MDT 2009

--- On Wed, 6/24/09, Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2 at gmail.com> wrote:
I love driving my B Eye with the top up almost as much with the top down.

I've never driven mine with the top up, so really don't know what it's like.
I'm sure it has its own charm, though.  I too have loved little cars since
being a kid.  Not sure what the trigger was, but I do remember my next door
neighbor's son having a square-body Sprite race car he took me for a few rides
in.  I remember it being very small, very fast, and very loud.

Strangely enough, he did 1/8 mile oval track racing in it - not road racing.
There was a class of "modifieds" for 4 cylinder cars they used to run Saturday
nights at the Nashville Speedway.  I guess this is what evolved into the class
for Pintos, Vegas, etc.  This was of course at the REAL Nashville Speedway,
not the big super speedway that now lives 30 miles east of the city.  And Yes,
Nashville was a stop on the NASCAR circuit way back then when it was actually
a racing series instead of a marketing tool for the 4-wheeled equivalent of
the WWF.

Oops, did I get a tad off-subject there?

David Booker
'71 Midget
Long Island