[Spridgets] Undercoating

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 19 10:13:33 MDT 2009

Hi Mike,
Probably easiest (heheh, still a PITA and not really easy)way would be heat
gun and a scraper.Then solvent and rags to get the residual.Or since you're
stripping it to a bare shell,flip it over, a little gas to get it started,
light it and wait till it all burns off.<VBG>Well, it WOULD work......don't
know if the Hamptoniteswould be too understanding of all the black smoke
tho....

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!

> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:53:40 -0400
> From: mdrowe at optonline.net
> To: spridgets at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Spridgets] Undercoating
>
> It turns out my BE undercoating was put on over bare metal and at least some
of it peals off easily.  So it will have to be stripped.  I don't know what
the undercoating is.  This nasty is like fresh roofing tar; it remains sticky
and makes a mess of anything that touches it.  Maybe it *is* roofing tar.

> How do I strip it?  If I use a solvent, it will just dissolve an make a
thinner mess over an even wider area.  I need something that leaves the tar
unable to stick to anything else.  Is there a product that turns oil-based goo
into a jell?  Aircraft Stripper? Eastwood makes a stripper specifically for
undercoating.  Has anyone used it?