[Spridgets] Eight foot fluorescent lights

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Mon Jun 15 15:09:48 MDT 2009

I run 9 of the four footers, as 3 different banks on separate switches,
plus a recycled 4 bulb 4 footer over the workbench. I bought the cheapie
home despot T-8 lights and came to regret that decision. They hum
loudly, don't start in the cold, and the ballasts die fairly often.  I
was able to get a bunch of 'trougher' type fixtures (freebies!) from a
building that was being gutted. They were excellent quality T-8 units,
complete with new bulbs, except I don't have a drop ceiling in the
garage. So I ripped out the ballasts and bulbs, and replaced all my
cheap ballasts. They don't hum, & they start up well except on the very
coldest of days. Plus I have many years supply of spare bulbs...

--

Marc