[Spridgets] Carbs

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 19:19:23 MDT 2009

Michael Rowe wrote:
> The car was running just fine, but the idle was a little low, so I began fussing with the carbs.  Soon, it was not running at all.  (Who said "carburetor" is a French word meaning, "do not touch?")  I had to start all over again, and learned the following:
>
> 1.  The front jet will not screw all the way to the top, the rear screws well above the top.  The rear must be eyeballed the same amount below the top as the front.

The jets should both be flat with the inside base of the carb when the
adjuster nut is all the way up.

> 2.  Twelve faces down is visibly different for front and rear.  Again, I had to eyeball the difference, although I suppose I could measure it if I had a reasonably accurate measuring device.  My cheap caliper is old and rusty.

Also make sure the needles are flush with the base of the pistons, the
needle shoulder that is.
> 3.  There is gas standing in the rear jet; the front is dry.  So there is a big difference in the floats.  Should I be able to see gas standing in the jet?

Gas will stand in the jets, but not spill out into the carbs. The gas in
the jet is level with where ever the float is set.
It's just a gravity tube

Check that the float bowl is not off kilter, there is a locating peg on
the carb body, they are often snapped off.
Both floats should be tilted the same, wiggle them, if they move more
than about a 1/6 of an inch, the peg is broken.
They will move as they have a rubber block inside the mount but also a
metal peg.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ