[Spridgets] Datsun 5 speed speedo

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 08:02:32 MDT 2009

>> I haven't gotten around to buying the parts yet... I installed a
>> SigmaSport bicycle speedometer instead.

> I'm heading that way too!  Where did you put the sending unit?
>
> Summit sells an electronic speedo that appears to fit in the dash hole and a
> kit for pickups on the driveshaft, but I have heard that it's inaccurate
> below 35mph.....yeah, yeah, I know that fix:  DON'T DRIVE BELOW 35!!!!

Geoff,
The SigmaSport BC1200 I used is not perfect. It has no backlight. It
loses its settings when the battery dies. It can only process so many
pulses per second. I can live with that. I tried reading the
driveshaft, but it was too many pulses per second. Speedo worked fine,
but all of the "calculated" functions (odometers, average speed, etc)
were all wrong (400 miles from Chicago to Allentown, PA?). OTOH, using
one of the rear backing plate bolts to mount a bracket to read a
magnet JBWelded to the brake drum works great. Wire up through the
tunnel with the brake line.
David L