[Spridgets] oil for spridgets

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Wed Jul 22 10:59:47 MDT 2009

At 07:45 AM 7/22/2009, Bud Osbourne wrote:
>David is correct, here.  To my friends, whose names I will omit, but
>who have opined on this subject, and any of you others choosing to
>ignore the issue, I say: DUH!  For the same price, or very slightly
>higher, you can use the best/correct oil and not need to worry about
>it.  WHY WOULD YOU RISK EVEN THE POSSIBILITY OF PREMATURELY WEARING
>OUT YOUR ENGINE, WHEN, FOR ROUGHLY THE SAME MONEY YOU ARE BUYING
>"JUNK" OIL (any brand conforming with API specification SM) FOR, YOU
>COULD BE USING THE BEST???
>Just because "it" (the wrong additive package for our flat tappet
>engines) has not yet bitten you in the ass, yet, does not mean you
>have escaped.
>Look, I don't care whether or not you use brand X, or brand Y, or
>brand Z........just use oil that has an API spec SJ rating, as it
>will have the correct additive package for your engine.

========
... and this is the problem with recommending a brand over another.
F'rinstance the Rotella T recommendation... it now has an SM rating.
Oil vendors (or manufacturers if you really think there are such
things) submit their product (AND PAY BIG $$) to API for testing in
order to gain a certification (S#) that enables them to sell a
certain product to a certain marketplace. Buy ANY oil that is
alphabetically SJ or less and you'll be OK. The smaller vendors, Brad
Pitt for example, may not want or have the bucks to pay the usurious
testing fees to API, and so they don't get the rating. Brad Pitt has
found a way to market that, for even greater profits.

Peter C  (just one man's opinion.)