[Spridgets] Hyper Lube

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Mon Jul 20 19:55:04 MDT 2009

Yes.  Remember, this is for break-in, which means that the oil must allow the
rings to seat....which means, basically, to wear themselves to conform to the
shape of the cylinders they are in.  Too much lubrication protection means
that the rings can't wear enough to become "seated".
The break-in oil is not meant to stay in the engine for longer than it takes
to seat the rings.  It's called "break-in" oil for a good reason, so don't use
it for anything but the short, break-in period.
Years ago, when I used to build my own VW engines, I used non-detergent
Kendall 10W, (20W in hot weather) as recommended by world-renowned, air-cooled
VW guru Gene Berg, for the break-in period, which was only a few hundred
miles.  Those engines always gave me 100,000 miles of good service, before I
tore them down for overhaul.  I was always amazed by how little wear I found
after that much mileage, on Kendall (now Brad Penn) oil.
Bud Osbourne