[Spridgets] Engine Breathing

John Farley jmfarley61 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 09:22:54 MDT 2009

I have a rebuilt 1275 in my bugeye and am looking for some engine breathing
guidance.  I have a stock Smiths "pancake" P.C.V. valve mounted above and
feeding into the SU carbs'. intake manifold.  I am feeding into that valve
via. a hose from the timing cover "can".  The valver cover that is installed
also has an outlet tube that I was feeding via. a hose into the front stock
air cleaner.  I am using a metal oil filter cap with the cable.  (The repair
manual also mentions a vented cap).

With the valve cover outlet tube open to the air cleaner, I was concerned
that the P.C.V. valve might not be working correctly.  I decided to plug the
valve cover outlet tube as a test.  The RPMs dropped about 200 as expected.
I then re-adjusted the idle.  The engine now seems to be running slightly
better at both idle and at speed.

I was wondering what other folks were doing?

Thanks,  John