[Spridgets] front end rebuild

Jeff Foster tr3.4.me at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 14:21:38 MDT 2009

The front end of my 73 Midget is making a fair amount of noise so I'm
contemplating taking it off the road for a rebuild.  I'd like to have
it as a dependable everyday driver and highway ready should I decide
to ever hit the road with it (perhaps, a 450 mile drive to Elkhart
Lake).

I've never attempted anything like that so I'm asking for advice from
the most learned list.

The twice-previous owner added hydraulic tube shocks (KYB I think) but
the original lever shocks are still installed also.  My thought was to
remove the tube shocks and have the lever shocks rebuilt.  Any
comments for/against that approach.

Also the front sway bar interferes with the rims when turning very
sharply so I'm guessing its an incorrect aftermarket bar and will
probably look for a suitable replacement.

What all parts are recommended for replacement/rebuild? How difficult
a job is it? Is this a job better farmed out to someone who knows what
their doing to begin with? How long can I expect to have it off the
road assuming there's nothing majorly wrong and I can easily source
any special tools required?  Are there any special tools required?

Any upgrades or modifications suggested?