[Spridgets] Paint removal

Andrew Payne andrewpayne at intrex.net
Thu Jul 16 09:24:28 MDT 2009

Last night I started removing the paint from my car.  My compressor will not
power a DA sander, and was wondering what type of electric sander is best -
with out putting out much money.  Obviously, if I'm dropping real money,
I'll put it towards a better compressor.  Secondly, I had asked months ago
about a recommendation to use razor blades to strip a car.  When I found
that my new HF palm sander used non-standard paper sizes, and was not too
effective, I tried the razor.  As you can imagine, some paints and fillers
are harder to remove than others, but many areas skimmed off to the last
coat of primer with ease similar to scraping paint from glass.  I think that
this may be the most efficient way to clear 85% of the paint.  In some
areas, 4 or 5 coats would come up with a single pass.

If you plan to try this, two bits of advice: wear glasses, and keep your
mouth closed.

Cheers,

Drew