[Spridgets] Randall Smith Races a 1971 Chevron

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:19:15 MDT 2009

B19 or B16?

That I do not know.  It is red and has Nikki Lauda still on the side - and
it is fast.  Not sure what power is being put out by the Cosworth. .  I
think I remember what his engine guy told me. .  but I don't
want to take a stab at it cause I might be too high.  (Not that I am "high"
while typing) - I mean my take at the HP would probably be too high.  It
appears that they are pressing all the HP they can get out of that engine.
.  and then it gets a rebuild during the winter in preparation for the race
season to begin again the following season.  Randy has deep pockets and can
put as much as is needed into his car to be competitive.  Randy is now in
his mid 60's and is as fit as ever.

I think there is another guy on this list who is into cars and builds
fantastic guitar amps - who is fit and in his 60's as well?

(I would go with the above guy's amps over the Mesa stuff. .  from what I
have heard of them on line).

The class that Randy races in is one of the fastest at the event which is
held at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. .  used to be called Sears Point.

In another class, the V8 Cobra's also mix it up with a full on race prepped
E Type Jag.  Not the V12 - the larger straight 6 running Webers.  Damn that
Jag is FAST. .  The last time I saw the Jag run with the Cobras. .  the
Cobras didn't stand a hair of a chance against the "Cat" in the corners. .
and the "Cat" won by a nice margin.  I have to say that one of the Cobra's
did get ahead of the Jag and then broke down.  Still, the race would have
ultimatley come down to the Brit machine capturing the flag.  The driver got
out (I was in the paddock at the end) proclaiming how the Cobra's were not
able to catch "The Cat" in the corners.

On a different track with more straight time, the Cobra's might have
prevailed.

I love to hear the sound of that straight 6 Jag wailing down the back
straight. .  absolute music to my ears.

Kirk