[Spridgets] Heads

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 11:10:56 MST 2009

There are a whole bunch of different 1275cc head castings of which I know
very little.  Whether or not the casting is A+ doesn'e mean anything as  they
made some small valve 1275cc heads for stuff like the Morris Ital.  On  the
other hand the late A+ heads on the Classic (but not 1960s Classic) Minis  would
have had bigger valves.

What you need to know is what the valve sizes are and how well the  casting
is ported.  There are different combinations of inlet and exhaust  that will
fit in the head.

Any 9 stud block can be drilled and tapped to take the extra 2 studs or
sometimes a stud and a bolt.

All of the 5 port aluminium alloy heads originate from Pierce who supply
them as a bare casting for 'whoever' to build as per the customer spec.   There
is almost no data on the Pierce heads and possibly no flow bench data  either.
Generally the limitation on the Pierce head appears to be that  since it
needs an insert for one of the valves (or both) you can't get use as  big valves
as you can in an iron head.  However, the aluminum head is  significantly
lighter than an iron head and if this is more important to you  that a few more bhp
(and almost certainly it'll benefit you more than a few more  bhp) it's the
hot choice.  At least three listers here are runnin a Pierce  head - probably
all to different specs.

Weslake-Monza 1330