[Spridgets] OT - External hard drives

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Jan 22 08:17:56 MST 2009

> Which brand is better - WD or Seagate?

Both are pretty good. I have used hundreds of each of them. I tend to prefer
WD for desktops and the high-end ST drives for servers. I feel that Seagate
puts more into their high-end drives, but WD does a better bread-and-butter
drive. In the early days of IDE, there were ST drives that could not
establish a master/slave relationship with another identical drive... but I
was able to make them work as a slave to a WD.

As I said in my earlier post, every hard drive has moving parts and amounts
to a timebomb waiting for the moment at which it can do you the most damage
by crashing. The volume of WD drives out there is truly staggering. Yes,
they will eventually fail, but I have had few failures of WD drives that
were not due.
David Lieb