[Spridgets] OT - External hard drives

Larry Macy lmacy at phillymgclub.com
Thu Jan 22 04:06:45 MST 2009

Larry,

While I would hate to disagree with David, I have to. The My Pasport
drive is a 2.5" drive that is designed for a laptop. Hence it is a
portable drive and built to withstand movement and slight shaking up.
THe My Book drive is a desktop drive and designed to be put on a
desktop and left there. It is heavier and not really designed for
portability.

OTOH, David is correct on the use of Flash drives for moving bits back
and forth. THat is what I use most of the time, if not I use a 250GB
LaCie 2.5" Porsche drive. (had it for like 3 years and no failure yet,
and it's been to Wyoming a couple times).

In the WD case, use the My Book for backups and the My Passport for
transport.

Larry

On Jan 20, 2009, at 12:55 PM, David Lieb wrote:

>> David, is there any difference, other than size, between the larger
>> case
>> hard drives like this "My Book" unit vs the smaller ones like "My
>> Passport"?
>> I am looking for a portable unit to bring back and forth between
>> home and my
>> office, but am wondering if there is any compromise when stuffing
>> the same
>> capacity into a smaller package.
>
> Personally, I would suggest that you might be better off using a
> pair of the USB flash drives. They aren't perfect either (hence the
> "pair"), but they have no moving parts to fail and 32GB is generally
> enough for data transportation.
>
> If I were going to use a drive like that, I would lean towards the
> WD My Book line. Hard drives do generate a lot of heat still and a
> bigger case translates into better temperature control.
> David Lieb _______________________________________________
>
> You are subscribed as lmacy at phillymgclub.com
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
lmacy at phillymgclub.com
Board Member at Large
Philadelphia MG Club

arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to skid in
sideways, Margaritas in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!".