[Spridgets] OT - External hard drives

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Tue Jan 20 11:55:42 MST 2009

> David, is there any difference, other than size, between the larger case
> hard drives like this "My Book" unit vs the smaller ones like "My
> Passport"?
> I am looking for a portable unit to bring back and forth between home and
> my
> office, but am wondering if there is any compromise when stuffing the same
> capacity into a smaller package.

Personally, I would suggest that you might be better off using a pair of the
USB flash drives. They aren't perfect either (hence the "pair"), but they
have no moving parts to fail and 32GB is generally enough for data
transportation.

If I were going to use a drive like that, I would lean towards the WD My
Book line. Hard drives do generate a lot of heat still and a bigger case
translates into better temperature control.
David Lieb