[Spridgets] Water pump

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 14:27:32 MST 2009

--- On Mon, 1/19/09, derf <derf247 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never really run a hi-rev A-series.  But, I know
> Ron S has.

Derf is very gracious. In reality, I've blown up a lot of stuff, so I know what doesn't work, and what hasn't blown up yet generally is pretty good.

I'm sure an electric pump and the associated weight and complexity of its motor is a nice thing. What does work just fine on a 7500-8000 RPM Spridget motor is an old style water pump with the cast impeller and a larger diameter pulley (I don't remember the size; it's whatever Mini Mania or Winner's Circle sell). A Ron Davis aluminum radiator is the ultimate insurance (not cheap, but a work of art; mine is an exact copy of the Bugeye vertical flow). Per all the books, my car runs too cold - 160 even on 100 degree days. If the temp gauge hits 190, I know my water pump belt is slipping. I don't have a fan at all. If I have to idle more than 5 or 10 minutes, I shut it down. As David said before, if you're hitting 240 at idle, something is very wrong.

And Daniel - my oil temps run 220F to 240F all day long.

Ron