[Spridgets] Water pump

Matt Hagopian mhagopian at hoppetool.com
Mon Jan 19 11:23:57 MST 2009

I have a suzuki 50 amp alt already, it is the same size apprx as the sprite
alt. but pumps out a few more amps. Im getting mixed responses about
electric. So here's my problem.. Right now we have a 14x14x1.5(core) rad
with a 6 blade fan on the motor no shroud. It overheats to about 240 when
sitting stil and while racing.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM, <WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com> wrote:

> David is correct.
>
> An engine driven water pump is designed to operate at high effiency at low
> engine rpm.  This is so much the case that high rpm engines benefit from
> running the pump at a lower speed.
>
> Regards
>

> Weslake-Monza 1330
> oldsaabguy at comcast.net writes:
>
> David,
>
> I would beg to differ.
>
> At idle a regular water  pump is not working well at all, slow speed,
> no air moving over  radiator, low water pumping.
>
> Electric water pump works all the time (if  you want) so that you get
> great water flow at idle or  whenever.
>
> That said, I have only seen them on racecars as well but  racers are
> frequently ahead of the curve...  ;-)
>
> Lester
>
> On Jan 19, 2009, at 6:54 AM, David Lieb  wrote:
>
> >> ... He doesnt address electric waterpumps, I  was
> >> wondering why... having an electric water pump would reduce  drag,
> >> thus
> >> allowing for more power, anyone have  any ideas? Also going along
> >> with this
> >> idea, why  doesnt he recomend an electric fan?
> >
> >  Matt,
> snip
>

> > Electric water pumps are seldom used by  anyone but a racer. Most
> > beneficial
> > when the car sits  at WOT for extended periods. Not nearly so logical
> > when
> >  significant time is spent idling.
> > David Lieb

Sincerely,