[Spridgets] NLBC: car club legal question

Deikis, John G John.Deikis at va.gov
Wed Jan 7 12:49:16 MST 2009

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

It was good information to digest.

Incorporation is not my issue-the club's incorporated, but it's not
anything on the scale of Porsche Club of America, so I don't want to
compare watermelons to grapes here.

Some folks have confused "Not-for-profit" with "charitable
not-for-profit." They ain't the same. A car club is not a charity or a
church or a food pantry.

The issue of frivolous suits is a good one that we have considered. An
easy way to lose a frivolous suit is to not show up with a lawyer. And a
lot of mechanics are old car buffs too, but you can't pull into their
shop on a Monday morning and expect pro-bono work just because of that.
I know I can talk to a lawyer "as a favor" but I don't know any lawyer
car buffs who would follow a liability case through the courts over
several years for free. They have to pay their rent too.

I think Not-for-profit D&O insurance is the way to go.  Now, to find the
best broker.

Haggerty was suggested, and they have a connection to collector cars.
Anyone else have a lead?

Thanks.

John