[Spridgets] NLBC: car club legal question

Blake J. Discher bdischer.lists at blakedischer.com
Tue Jan 6 10:22:37 MST 2009

On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Deikis, John G wrote:
> You guys know everything, so here's a question for someone who may
> have
> training or past experience in this area.

Hi John,

I have experience both as a previous Detroit Triumph Sports Car Club
board member and current National president of The Vintage Triumph
Register.  I am not an attorney of course, but this information is
based on our conversations with more than one.

> 1. Do the officers and board of a car club have liability exposure if
> someone takes legal action against the club?

Yes, very much so.  For this reason DTSC and VTR have Officer's
Insurance that includes Errors and Omissions.

> 2. Does anyone know if "Directors & Officers" insurance is commonly
> taken out by entities as podunk as a local British car club?

Yes, see above.

> 3. If a newsletter advertiser does not "do right" by a customer, and
> the
> customer learned of the merchant through the club's newsletter, can
> the
> customer name the club as well as the merchant in suit?

Technically yes.  From a practical standpoint, no.  Anyone can sue
anyone or any entity as they desire.  The likelihood that your
"damaged" customer would name the club is slim.

> 4. Anybody know where I can read up on this sort of stuff?

It is likely that the National club that serves Spridgets would have
this sort of information.  VTR for example makes VERY affordable
insurance available to it's chapters that covers all of the items you
mention above and includes event insurance, which you don't directly
ask about.

Feel free to call me if you have additional questions.

Best regards.