[Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Re: tubes vs levers

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at msn.com
Thu Jan 1 14:46:59 MST 2009

As I currently understand it.....

lever shocks aren't "variable" in response RATE as are tube shox over uneven surfaces depending on speed. Thus, handling aside, tube shox with their variable response rate give a better ride on the street.

However, when rebuilding levers,  Peter C. replaces the original ("weeping") bearings with a Delrin type which, as I understand it, "softens" or reduces the "harshness" of initial response by virtue of reduced internal friction. Thus a "smoother" or more gentle initial response teamed with more "slippery" action overall gives Peter's
rebuild a ride superior to the original lever
shock as produced by the factory.

(And of course, Peter can "valve" according to taste and/or application)

Now I could be wrong in my understanding of this in which case this will be pointed out by Peter or other more knowledgeable
types and we'll all learn something, inclusive of your's truly.

BTW, I have Corvette (rear) "shorty" KYB K2R's all around on my Frog's Wheelrite
tube shock conversion which came with the car (the kit, not the shox which were originally VW bug types). While they are definitely  superior in ride over uneven surfaces at normal street speeds than the original Armstrong levers from the factory,  I doubt they're much better in this respect than Peter's lever rebuilds.

As I understand it, tube shock kits became popular for the street due mainly to the rising cost of new levers way back when, combined with the fact decent rebuilds lasting more than 6 months (before developing obvious leaks) simply couldn't be found.

Then of course, there was the maintenance aspect as the levers required topping off from time to time as the original "bearings"
required "weeping" (oil) for necessary
lubrication.

According to what I've read, most racers are using levers rather than tubes but I don't "know" this. Maybe Ron Soave or others that race from the Autox list can shed some light on what is preferred on the track and why?

CapBob