[Spridgets] Update from a Lurker (formerly very acitve)

dlancer7676 at comcast.net dlancer7676 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 08:28:56 MST 2009

Just an update from a most-of-the-time lurker but still interested Spridgeteer.

The last time I corresponded with the list, other than a short reply or two, was a year or so ago, when I lamented about not being able to find a short (or other cause) that keeps my turn signals/brake lights from working, and thus my not being able to drive, going on 2-years now, my 1979 Midget. For now, it is sitting out in the driveway with whatever protection its ill-fitting tonneau cover gives it.

I would like to get back to the task at hand this Spring and get it back on the road. I may end up selling it because I have had some knee problems in the past year that really cause problems getting in and out (or as I like to say, putting on and taking off) of the car. Anyway, I am not at that point yet--would just like to get it working properly and back on the road. It has a freshly overhauled tranny and the engine was freshened less than 2000 miles ago (An engine I bought on ebay and refreshed it with cylinder conditioning, rear bearing pinning, new rings and bearings, and new seals and timing chain). It needs a little rust touch-up work, some body filler repair (old body filler that the DPO put in it and has cracked or loosened), and a paint job real bad.

Too bad there isn't an OSHIT team down here in East Tennessee. These things go much faster and easier when there are other knowledgeable and able folks to lean on. But alas, we don't have the sort of great comaraderie (sp) that exists in the PA/NJ circle among Sprite/Midget owners/drivers. The trips I have taken in the past to Kevin's old Tamaqua rallies have been thoroughly enjoyable and I have always been impressed with the huge amount of support, both moral and mechanical, those guys up there give one another (you know who your are--If I try to remember names I will surely leave someone or some few out). But you are one great bunch of guys.

Anyway, not asking for anything--the last time I received a lot of great suggestions--I just have not been out there in the driveway crawling around to implement them. Again, I hope to get to that in a month or so. Thanks to the list for being there--I will probably be sending out more questions as I go. 8^)

David C.