[Spridgets] Racing Bugeye on eBay

JLC breton48 at live.com
Mon Feb 23 07:51:20 MST 2009

Linda wrote:

Very interesting JLC does that [welded diff] make it a posi rear like my
brothers GTO was..... just curious not interested in doing it.

Linda,

Not quite. as Ron said, a limited slip diff comes in a variety of forms,
some torque sensing (TORSEN) usually using hydraulics, and the old fashion
type with cones or/and clutches. Most LSD diffs use clutches, friction
plates, cones and/or gears to reduce the slippage between the powered
wheels. They usually  need some special type of fluid or additive to the oil
used for the gears. The advantage of the LSD is increased traction on
slippery conditions, inconvenients are accelerated tire wear and, for the
clutch type, chattering when going around corners.

What your brother has in his GTO is most likely an "Eaton Locker"  in his
car, which actually locks the gears in slippery conditions. I have an Eaton
Locker  in my one ton truck. It goes one step beyond the conventional LSD
diff by not only reducing slippage between the powered wheels, but actually
locking the spyder gears when traction is reduced or lost - just like a
"welded diff". It does need special oil or an additive to regular gear oil,
and it does suffer from "chattering"  when locked and going around a corner
- the same affect than I had in my racing Bugeye with the welded diff.  The
diff cannot let one wheel go around faster than the other, hence the
"chattering" (one wheel kinds of "skips around" the corner), and that also
causes the increase in tire wear.

JLC